There is always a constant debate between whether carpet flooring is better than hardwood flooring. This decision is solely based on your preference – depends on your tastes, situation and budget. Both options have its pros and cons. Check here!
Carpets come in many styles, colors, textures and design to choose from. It can be installed in almost any place of the home (except kitchen and washroom preferably). Like hardwood floors, carpets can style your home in any way you like. But before you make your decision, it’s a good idea to explore the pros and cons of carpet flooring. In this article, we will discuss top five advantages and disadvantages of carpet flooring.
Five Advantages of Carpet Flooring
- Comfort – Carpets come in different textures, but most of them are soft. It provides a cozy and comfortable place to sit, play and work. Carpets are usually recommended for those who have conditions that cause the heel to hurt such as stone bruise, plantar fasciitis (sub-calcaneal pain) or Heel spur. These are causes of tissue inflammation. Walking on soft surfaces such as a carpet can reduce the pain.
- Warmth – Unlike hardwood flooring, carpets provides warmth. It is best during colder seasons as it retains warm air longer and creates an overall cozy environment.
- Safety – Carpets can be a great option for families with small children. It can alleviate bad falls and slips.
- Styles and Colors – Your living space can be personalized in any way you like. A major shift in new carpet design is toward layered colors and soft texture. A combination of texture and pattern will always be popular because it minimizes soil and vacuum marks. But the other advantage is that color and texture offer more distinctive styling and fashion appeal.
- Noise – Carpets are preferred in home theatre systems and rooms with big screen televisions etc. to reduce the noise. Carpets act as a great sound barrier. Check out this site: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/advertising-techniques-flooring-19215.html
Five Disadvantages of Carpet Flooring
- Maintenance – Carpets often require high maintenance such as regular vacuuming. Unlike hardwood floors, carpets are not easy to clean if there is a spill.
- Allergies –Carpets might hold allergens such as mold, dust mites, and pet dander. Carpet is not advised for those who are easily susceptible to allergens or have respiratory problems. For those, hardwood flooring would be a better option.
- Longevity –Since carpets are synthetic, the lifespan is short unlike hardwood floors.
- Style and Trends– Hardwood flooring continue to rise in popularity. It increases value to homes.
- Sensitivity– Carpet easily attract dirt and stains.
The choice of carpet flooring depends on your preference. Overall, carpets can provide warmth and comfort but it’s not easy to maintain. At the end of the day, depending on your tastes and lifestyle, carpet flooring or hardwood flooring both has its pros and cons. Before any flooring installation, it is important to explore all these options.